The reason for the cancelation is said to be due to the 910th Airlift Wing operational budget being prioritized for readiness training. Col. Joe Janik stated:
“We are making the very tough decision to cancel this much-anticipated public event based on the given budget we have now.”
Featured at the air show would have been the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, one of the first formal flying aerobatic groups in the world. Additionally, the show would have had a display of Air Force planes.
While Janik admits that additional funding might become available over the next two months, when the 2020 appropriations are doled out, he said it would be unfair to delay making his decision.
Large events that are not held annually often start their promotions months in advance with the help of a poster printing service.
According to Janik, the air show and open house have been an opportunity to promote good community relations. The last time air shows were held at Youngstown Air Reserve Station were in 2017 and 2014, each attracting people in the tens of thousands.
Open to the public, the show, which would have been free, had been scheduled for June 20-21.
